How many First Aiders are Required in the Workplace?
Accidents at the workplace can arise at any moment.
Every company should include the formation of Emergency Responders within an emergency preparedness plan. Employees who are trained to deliver CPR and first aid at work will be able to respond to a medical emergency before the ambulance arrives. Their action can make a big difference between life and death.
How many first aiders do I need?
If your organization is spread out over a large area or has multiple sites, you will need people with first aid training located at strategic distances to ensure they can get to an incident quickly.
If you have shift workers or people working out of hours (for example, cleaners) you will need to ensure that there is cover whenever people are in the workplace. Don’t forget to factor in holiday cover, too.
If you have a mobile workforce, each member of staff should ideally have some basic first aid training.
How can I choose a first aider at work?
Before choosing a first responder, it is important considering if the employee:
- can enjoy and be passionate about First Aid.
- is a good communicator and if he likes interacting with others.
- has the confidence and reliability to cope with an emergency.
If you require first responders at the workplace, the location is an important factor to take into account. You should ask yourself if:
- the employee is readily available.
- the employee is often away at meetings or on business.
- if the employee is easy to find in a crisis.